Spanish Tortilla Recipe
Not to be confused with the Mexican Tortilla, Spanish Tortilla is a wonderful tapas dish you can get absolutely everywhere in Spain. Made with potatoes and egg, it’s great with olives, chorizo, some crusty bread and a Cerveza! It takes a little time as you need to confit the potatoes, but the effort is worth it.
Makes 1kg Tortilla
- 600g Nicola potatoes, peeled and sliced to 5mm thickness
- 300g thinly sliced brown onions
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tsp salt
- 750ml La Chinata Extra Virgin Olive Oil (available for purchase in our online shop)
- Heat olive oil in a medium sized non-stick saucepan until bubbling lightly and consistently.
- Add potatoes and stir to ensure potato slices are separated.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes, ensuring that oil is consistently bubbling at a low-medium heat.
- Add sliced onion to saucepan with potato and olive oil.
- Cover and cook for a further 10 minutes or until onion is soft, stirring very carefully from to time to ensure even cooking.
- Remove potato and onion from heat and drain. Set aside to cool.
- Beat eggs and add salt. Add to cooled potato and onion mixture, gently mixing through to ensure all potato slices are coated with egg.
- Transfer mixture to a Spanish Tortilla Pan (available for purchase in our online shop) over a low - medium heat.
- Use a fork to gently press down on potato and onions, creating a smooth, even surface and cook for approx. 10 minutes on one side.
- Flip the tortilla using the double sided pan and cook on the other side for 10 minutes.
- Again, use a fork to gently press down on the top and sides of the tortilla to ensure a smooth surface on top and a rounded edge.
- Flip the tortilla again using the double sided pan and ensure it is golden brown on both sides.